Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Capitol Technology University Course Catalog

    Jun 15, 2024  
2023-2024 Course Catalog 
2023-2024 Course Catalog

Academic Policies and Procedures

Program Advisors

Degree-seeking students are assigned academic advisors before registration. Students are encouraged to work closely with advisors in developing their programs of study. Academic advisors are available for guidance, but each student must assume final responsibility for conforming to university regulations and curriculum requirements.

Registration Procedures

Detailed registration information is provided before the beginning of each semester. Registration dates are listed in the university catalog and online. Students must be in good financial standing with the university to be eligible for registration services. Registration forms can be obtained and submitted at the Laurel campus or online.

Late registration occurs during the first two weeks of the semester for all semester-length courses, or between the first and second class meeting for all term-length courses (both undergraduate and graduate). No term-length course registrations will be accepted after the second class meeting. The last day to add or drop a class is listed in the university catalog and online.

Cross-Divisional Registration

Students pursuing an undergraduate degree who wish to enroll in graduate courses must meet with their department chair and receive approval prior to registration. This includes concurrent undergraduate students taking graduate level coursework to meet graduate degree requirements and students substituting graduate courses for undergraduate degree requirements. Courses taken at the graduate level to satisfy undergraduate degree requirements will not be counted toward the graduate level should the student choose to pursue a graduate degree. Course substitutions will be necessary for completing graduate credit requirements. Students interested in cross-divisional registration should submit the appropriate paperwork to the Office of Registration and Records.

Audited Courses

Students who register to audit a course are charged the same tuition as those who register for credit. The grade of X is awarded at the end of the semester/term and is not used in computing the cumulative grade point average. Half-time, financial aid students that change to audit will have part or all of their aid returned to the federal government. Students receiving VA benefits will not receive payment for audited courses. Any student receiving financial aid contemplating an audit should contact the Office of Financial Aid. Once registered for audit, students are not permitted to change to credit after the first two weeks of the semester. The last day to change from credit to audit is listed in the university catalog and online.

Independent Study

Independent study in a course will be granted only in the most extraordinary circumstances. Eligibility for an independent study course will be determined by a committee comprised of academic department chairs, academic advisors and academic support staff. If the committee determines that a student is eligible for an independent study course, the appropriate department chair will assign a professor and the student will be registered for the course by the Office of Registration and Records. The assigned professor will organize all course requirements including exams, homework, lab assignments and research papers in lieu of classroom participation. Students interested in an independent study course should submit an independent study request form to the Office of Registration and Records.

Change of Degree Program

Students who want to change degree programs must fill out a change of degree program form, which may be obtained in the Office of Registration and Records or online. The student’s new department chair must approve all changes of degree programs. Students who change their degree program are required to meet all requirements of the new programs that are in effect at the time of the change. Transfer credits and courses that have already been completed will be applied toward the new degree program, where appropriate. Any student receiving financial aid considering a change of degree should see the Office of Financial Aid. Completed documentation must be submitted to the Office of Registration and Records after academic department chair approval.

Double Degree Requirements

Undergraduate students who are currently enrolled and want to pursue two degrees (AAS or BS) must have a cumulative GPA (grade point average) of 2.5 or higher. For a second BS degree, the student must complete a minimum of 150 credits, with a minimum of 18 credits distinction between majors, of which at least 12 must be upper-level credits completed at Capitol Technology University. For a second AAS degree, the student must complete a minimum of 75 credits, with a minimum of nine credits distinction between majors, of which at least six must be 200-level or above. Undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in an AAS program and a different BS program must complete nine credits of distinction between the two degrees.

Graduate students who want to obtain two degrees must complete all the requirements for both degrees plus a minimum of twelve distinct semester hours of credit. Should more courses overlap than is approved, the student must take additional courses to make up the credit requirement. Double-degree-seeking graduate students are encouraged to consult their department chair for advisement.

All students declaring a second degree must have approval from the new program’s academic chair designated on the change of degree program form. This form is available in the Office of Registration and Records or online.

Course Drop

There are two course drop periods. The first course drop period occurs during the registration period and ends on the last day for a 25% refund. The second course drop period occurs following the period for 25% refund and continues until the date indicated on the academic calendar.

For a course drop that takes place during the first period, students are entitled to a percentage refund as outlined in the refund schedule. The course is removed from the student’s transcript and no grade is assigned.

A course drop that takes place during the second period results in a mark of W on the student’s transcript. A grade of W does not affect students’ cumulative GPA. Failure to attend class does not constitute withdrawal from the course and does not eliminate a student’s academic or financial responsibilities.

If a student drops all classes for the semester (zero credits), he/she is considered withdrawing from the university and should follow the procedure for withdrawal (as listed in the following section). Deadline dates for dropping a course with or without a W from a course are listed in the university catalog and online.

Withdrawal from the University

Students who wish to withdraw from the university or are dropping from all classes in a term or semester must complete a withdrawal form from the Office of Registration and Records online. Students who interrupt their attendance for less than one academic year and are in good standing with Capitol Technology University at the time of the withdrawal do not need to reapply to the university. Also see “Readmission.”

Failure to attend classes does not constitute withdrawal and does not eliminate students’ academic or financial responsibilities. Students cannot withdraw during the week of final exams.

Withdrawal from the university may affect financial aid awards. Any student receiving financial aid or VA benefits must see a financial aid administrator before withdrawing. Consult the university catalog for specific withdrawal dates.

Active Duty Withdrawal Policy

Members of the active duty military, reserves or National Guard who are called into active service may withdraw from classes and receive a full refund of tuition and fees for the semester. The student must present a copy of their military orders to the dean of students along with a withdrawal form to process the withdrawal.

Students who wish to receive incomplete (I) grades for courses interrupted by a call to active service must make arrangements with their individual professors. Faculty will determine whether an incomplete grade is appropriate by taking into account factors such as amount of work remaining, a student’s performance in class, mode of instruction, etc. Students who receive incomplete grades will not receive refunds for those courses. The student must then complete coursework by the end of the fourth week of the next term, or the I grade will be converted to an F (unless the professor has specified that the I be converted to a C or D). After six months, the Vice President for Academic Affairs must approve changes in grades.

Students are responsible for keeping their professors informed of any military related absences.


Students who withdraw from the university are eligible for readmission at any time, unless they have been in violation of the university’s academic regulations, or have been dismissed for disciplinary reasons. Students who have been admitted to the university and have not maintained continuous enrollment must resubmit an application for admission. A readmitted student must meet the degree requirements in place at the time of readmission in order to qualify for graduation. Applications are available online. Arrangements for payment of outstanding tuition balances must be made with the Business Office before readmission is approved.

Continuous Enrollment

To be considered continuously enrolled, a student must not have more than one academic year (three consecutive semesters) of non-enrollment with the university.

Leave of Absence

Doctoral students may request a Leave of Absence (LOA) by completing the Leave of Absence Request form on the Registration and Records page of the MyCapitol portal. When requesting an LOA, keep in mind, all coursework must be completed within a ten year time period. This does not include the additional two years allowed for dissertation completion and defense for DSc in Cybersecurity and PhD in Business Analytics and Data Science students.

All LOA requests must be submitted in writing, including the reason for the request, and be signed and dated. In order to adhere to federal regulations of the Department of Education, the LOA, together with any additional leaves of absence, must not exceed a total of 180 days in any 12-month period. The 12-month period begins on the initial date of the LOA. At leave expiration, students must re-enroll or (if qualified) request an LOA extension. If the student has not returned at the end of the 180-day period, the school is required to notify the Department of Education of the student’s last date of attendance. This will affect the student’s federal financial aid and loan repayment status. Students with circumstances requiring LOA beyond 180 days should consider withdrawing from the program, retaining the right to reapply at a later date. LOA forms are provided on the MyCapitol portal.

Course Cancellation

The university can cancel a course for which an insufficient number of students are enrolled. Students will be notified of a cancellation by the first class session, and any payments made will be refunded in full or credited to the next term.

Course Prerequisites

When planning schedules for upcoming semesters, students should pay special attention to the course prerequisites. Students must obtain a grade of C or better in prerequisites for degree-required courses. Those students not meeting the course criteria will not be allowed to register without approval from their academic department chair.

Completion of English Courses

Students seeking bachelor’s degrees at Capitol Technology University must complete EN 101  and EN 102  before being permitted to register for junior-level classes. Transfer students must have equivalent transfer credits for EN 101  and EN 102  before being permitted to register for junior-level classes. Transfer students of junior status who do not have equivalent transfer credits for EN 101  and EN 102  must meet with an advisor before registering.

Class Attendance

Each professor establishes regulations regarding class attendance at Capitol Technology University. Regular class and laboratory attendance is necessary to achieve maximum success in university work. Students receiving financial aid who do not attend classes will lose their aid.


Student academic records are maintained exclusively by the Office of Registration and Records. Transcripts are considered privileged documents between the student and the university and will be released only upon a signed, written request from the student, except as may be required by law. This is done to ensure protection of student privacy in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.

Transcripts are issued when the student submits a signed request form or completes the official transcript and payment request process via National Student Clearinghouse ( request forms are available on the MyCapitol portal. Capitol Technology University will neither issue a transcript that reflects only part of a student’s record nor make copies of transcripts on file from other colleges or universities. Federal guidelines prohibit the faxing or emailing of grades and transcripts. A $10 transcript fee is assessed for each issuance of official transcripts. Official transcript requests can be initiated exclusively via Capitol’s National Student Clearinghouse ordering page. Unofficial transcripts are available at any time free of charge via the MyCapitol portal using one’s login credentials, in-person with proper photo identification or via United States Postal Service. There are no circumstances under which a transcript, official or unofficial, will be released to a student with a Financial Aid hold.

Identification Cards

All enrolled undergraduate students will receive a Capitol Technology University identification card. ID cards are required to check out laboratory equipment or library materials. The student activity fee covers the cost of the original ID card. At the beginning of each semester, information about obtaining an ID card is posted on campus and online.

Graduate students may request an ID card from the Office of Student Life.

Scholastic Standing

Grading System

The quality of a student’s academic performance is evaluated by letter grades that are assigned quality points as follows:

Grade Quality Standard Points

A Excellent 4
B Good 3
C Average* 2
D Below Average* 1
F Failing 0
I Incomplete 0
NG No grade 0
P Pass 0
R Repeat 0
S Satisfactory 0
U Unsatisfactory 0
V Validation credit 0
W Withdrawn (officially) 0
X Audit 0
T Transfer credit 0

*A grade of C shows minimum expectations have been met at the graduate level.

**Grades of D will not apply toward graduate program requirements.

Credit-Bearing Courses

The following policy defines the credit hour at Capitol Technology University in accordance with applicable federal and state regulations.

Capitol Technology University defines the credit hour as an approximation of the learning outcomes equivalent of the Carnegie Unit. Courses are developed and evaluated to ensure that the amount of student learning required per credit is equivalent to one (50 minute) hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work for approximately fifteen weeks or two (50 minute) hours of direct faculty instruction and four hours of out-of-class student work in an eight-week graduate sub-term for one semester hour of credit or at least an equivalent amount of work for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, independent study and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

Student learning outcomes reflect differences in course delivery methods, type of instruction and interaction, degree of supervision, measurements of student work, academic disciplines and degree levels.

All credit-bearing courses with the exception of doctoral dissertation research, writing and presentation courses require syllabi, which will include the number of credit hours, class meeting times and approximate schedule of required assignments.

Grade Point Average

At the end of each semester, averages are computed for each student’s record to indicate the general level of his or her academic standing. The first is the scholarship level for the semester. The second is the cumulative grade point average, indicating the scholarship level for all work taken at the university to date.

In cases where a student retakes a course, only the highest grade is used in computing the CGPA. The previous grade remains on record as information only. To graduate, undergraduate students must have a minimum 2.0 CGPA and a 2.0 GPA in their degree program. Graduate students must have a minimum 3.0 CGPA and a 3.0 GPA in their current degree program.

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade (I) may be given due to unavoidable and verifiable circumstances only at the end of a semester or term to those students whose work is current, up until the day of the emergency, but who have left unfinished a small amount of work - for instance, a final examination, a paper, or a term project which may be completed without further class attendance.

When a grade of incomplete (I) is assigned, the professor will specify the work necessary to complete the course and receive a grade, the deadline date for completion, and the grade to be assigned if the work is not completed by the specified date. The latest date for the deadline is the fourth week of the next term. It the student does not make the deadline the incomplete will be converted to the grade the professor specified. After six months, the VPAA must approve changes in grades.

In the event that the instructor from whom students receive an incomplete is no longer available, the disposition of students’ eventual grade resides with the appropriate department chairperson.

Incompletes need department chair approval.

No Grade Mark

When it is not appropriate to award a grade, a mark of NG will be given. NG grades are not calculated in the student’s term or CGPA.

Grade Reports

Grade reports are available on the MyCapitol portal within three weeks after the last day of final exams. Students who want to have grades sent to sponsors must complete the proper request form available in the Office of Registration and Records or online. Federal regulations prohibit the use of phone, email or fax for official grade distribution.

Grade Appeal

If a student questions the assigned grade in a course, the student must first exhaust all possibilities to resolve the questions through discussion, dialogue, and written communication with the instructor. If the student is unable to resolve the problem by these efforts, the student is required to speak with the chair of the department in which the course is offered. The purpose of such conversations is to clarify possible misunderstandings or to remedy failures of communication (an informal appeal process).

If no resolution is reached in the informal appeal process, the student may engage the formal appeal process by appealing to the Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA). Filing a formal appeal with the VPAA requires the completion of designated forms on the Registration and Records portion of the MyCapitol Portal.

Students who wish to file a formal appeal of an assigned grade must follow the steps outlined below.

  • Review the section titled “Basis for Appeal” in the Grade Appeal Policy to be sure you have legitimate grounds for appealing your grade. Any grounds for appeal other than those listed will be considered irrelevant.
  • Contact the instructor within 14 calendar days of the posting of the grade and try to reach a resolution concerning the grade. This step must be documented by filling out Form #1on the MyCapitol Portal.
  • If no resolution occurred with the instructor, contact the chairperson of the department in which the course is taught and try to reach a resolution concerning the grade. This step must be documented in Form #1 on the MyCapitol Portal.
  • If no resolution was reached with the chairperson, a formal grade appeal may be submitted to the VPAA using Form #2 within 30 calendar days of the conclusion of the informal appeal. Form 1 along with any relevant supporting material, must be included when Form 2 is submitted to the VPAA.
  • The informal grade appeal should be completed within 30 calendar days after the appeal was initiated.
  • Students who are graduating at the end of the semester the grade was assigned: You must contact the VPAA within one week of the posting of the grade to inform him/her that you plan to appeal the grade and are beginning the informal appeal process by contacting the instructor and chairperson.
  • Students who are claiming the second basis (see below) for appeal listed in the Grade Appeal Policy: If the appeal proceeds to the VPAA and/or grade appeal committee, you are required to provide a list of the names of other students and specific assignments so that a review of the relevant materials and appropriate comparisons can be made. You must obtain express written permission from each student listed before including his/her name in the grade appeal.

Basis for Appeal of an Assigned Grade

An appeal may be filed by a student based on one or more of the following grounds only:

  1. An error in the calculation of the grade.
  2. Assignment of a grade by application of more exacting/demanding standards than were applied to other students in the same section of the same course, in the same semester, with the same instructor.
  3. Assignment of a grade on some basis other than performance in the course.
  4. Assignment of a grade that is a substantial departure from the instructor’s previously announced standards for that section of that course.
  5. Assignment of a grade that is a substantial departure from the written departmentally approved standards for a course.

Any other grounds for appeal shall be considered irrelevant.

Informal Appeal

All students must follow the informal appeals process for questioning grades prior to engaging the formal appeal. Students must initiate their informal appeal within 7 calendar days of the posting of the grade. Should no resolution occur by the informal appeal, the student may choose to engage the formal appeal process as noted below in items 1, 2 & 3. The student should initiate the informal process through email or face-to-face meeting.

  1. Student to Meet with Instructor. In so doing, they are to, where possible, seek out the instructor for a face-to-face conversation.
  2. Instructor to Give Due Consideration. The instructor is encouraged to listen to the entirety of the student’s case and then to consider whether the current grade is appropriate.
  3. Student to Contact Department Chairperson. Should no resolution occur, the student is required to contact the department chairperson. The chairperson is required to meet with the student one- on-one, to seek a conversation with the instructor one-on-one, and then highly encouraged to meet with the two of them together.

Formal Appeal

For grade appeals involving courses taught at Capitol Technology University, students must complete the Capitol Technology University Grade Appeal Forms found on the MyCapitol Portal and submit it to the Capitol Technology University VPAA’s Office. When filing an appeal, a student must specify the basis of the appeal and do so within 30 calendar days of the conclusion of the informal appeal. The student must indicate one of the following:

  1. Instructor Unwilling to Communicate. The instructor is unable or unwilling to communicate with the student on the appeal and the informal appeal could not proceed.
  2. No Resolution. No resolution resulted from the informal appeal process.

Contents of Formal Appeal

The student should attach to the appeal forms as much of the relevant physical and electronic record as is possible to collect. If the basis of differential standards is asserted, the student should provide a list of the names of other students and specific assignments so that a review of the relevant materials and appropriate comparisons can be made.

Verification of Appropriateness of Appeal

For appeals of grades submitted by instructors who have been terminated, resigned, or retired, it is the VPAA’s responsibility to manage the notification process. In doing so, the VPAA shall make three separate attempts at contact within 30 calendar days, with the last one in writing by registered letter to the last known address. If after ten working days of the VPAA’s receiving the registered letter receipt the instructor still refuses to discuss the grade appeal, the VPAA shall convene the Grade Appeal Committee.

If an instructor has denied the grade appeal after having met with the department chairperson, the VPAA must review the materials and discuss the matter with the student. The VPAA may choose to discuss the matter with the instructor, the chairperson, or both. If the VPAA cannot create a resolution satisfactory to the instructor and student, the VPAA shall convene the Grade Appeal Committee.

Grade Appeal Committee

The Grade Appeal Committee will consist of five members with one alternate from the Faculty Advisory Council appointed by the VPAA. Members of a department may serve on the grade appeal of a departmental colleague. When the instructor in question is a member of the committee, she/ he is recused and the alternate shall serve in her/his place.

Without regard to the calendar, once a formal appeal has been submitted to the committee, that committee shall remain with the appeal until its conclusion. If two or more grade appeals are received by the VPAA about the same instructor and same course, the committee can determine to combine them into one process if the committee determines the students’ rights to appeal are not compromised.

The Grade Appeal Committee will review all materials from the previous steps of the grade appeal process. If necessary, the Grade Appeal Committee may request additional materials from the student and/or the instructor that are pertinent to the specific case.

Grade Appeal Committee Actions

The Grade Appeal Committee, by majority vote, shall within 10 calendar days or ask for exception baring the need for additional information recommend one of the following:

  1. That the original grade stands
  2. That any higher grade be substituted for the original grade
  3. That an incomplete grade be granted. (If this recommendation is made, the departmental chairperson shall be appointed the instructor of record for the course for this student. The conditions for completion, the default grade, and the expiration of the incomplete shall be specified by the Grade Appeal Committee.)


When a recommendation is made by the Grade Appeal Committee, the Grade Appeal Committee shall prepare a written summary of the recommendation and transmit the recommendation to the VPAA. Within 10 calendar days, the VPAA will transmit the recommendation to the student, instructor, and chairperson.

If a grade change is recommended, the VPAA shall prepare a letter to the Registrar stating the new grade. The letter will carry the signature of the VPAA and the members of the committee. No such letter is required if there is no change in grade.

Grade Changes

Occasionally, a grade must be changed as errors do occur. However, grade changes will not be accepted later than six months after a term has ended; therefore, if a student truly feels that a mistake has been made, he or she must investigate as soon as possible after the grade is issued (see Grade Appeal above).

Dean’s List for Full-time Students

Full-time undergraduate students who have GPAs of 3.5 or higher, and no failing grades for the semester, qualify for the dean’s list. Dean’s list designation is included on the student’s transcript.

Dean’s List for Part-time Students

Part-time undergraduate students taking at least six semester credits, who have GPAs of 3.5 or higher and no failing grades for the semester, qualify for the dean’s list for part-time students. Dean’s list designation is included on the student’s permanent record.